This content is archived, it could be outdated.
New Institute website
A brand-new website for the MPI for Psycholinguistics -- the one you're currently looking at -- was launched on April 20, 2009.
After many years of reliable service, our old Institute website was replaced by a brand new site, in which we have improved things on several broad fronts:
(1) Interface. Most obviously, we've completely redesigned the interface, in terms of its graphics design or 'skin' -- now stylish MPG-green with red color highlights -- and in terms of the information structure and associated navigation scheme. The latter has been redefined from scratch, based on an analysis of potential site visitors and their information needs.
interface of the old website
(2) Engine. We've also completely redesigned the 'engine' behind the interface. Our website is implemented in a standard Content Management System (Plone 3), but this CMS has been customized to fit our needs, e.g.: default templates for recurring subsections of the website (research groups, research projects, scientific events, and personal pages), tight integration with several Institute databases (a personnel database, our research archive, a media archive, and our publications database), and a customized work flow that documents page responsibility and automatically reminds our staff to maintain their pages.
(3) Publications access. A major goal of the new 'engine' was to generate publications lists automatically yet flexibly, based on an MPG-wide publications repository. Most of the publication lists that you will find on project, group, person or annual report pages are generated in this way, with the added bonus of elegant access to publication full texts, abstracts, and additional supplementary information stored in our databases. Because the publications repository behind this functionality is an MPG-wide system, our website engine can in principle be reused at other MPG institutes.
(4) Contents. Of course, we've taken the opportunity to update and extend much of the information on the site. E.g., we now also feature prominent news on our homepage, and use the website to distribute press releases. Please note that although the annual reports available on the new website go way back, the archiving of other information (e.g. past events, past news) only starts with 2009.
Our partners in building this website:
- Nies & Partners BNO, Nijmegen -- Graphics design
- Zest Software, Hoogvliet -- Plone programming
- Kees Oerlemans, Nijmegen -- Consultancy in startup-phase
- Max Planck Digital Library -- MPG eSciDoc PubMan database
See our colophon for more information on the MPI web team.
We hope you enjoy the site!