We are interested in the cognitive strategies used by speakers to control their speaking rate and speaking style. We use behavioural techniques to elicit speech, and then use computational modelling to analyse these speech data to answer our research questions.
The student assistant will primarily perform the following duties:
- testing participants with behavioural techniques, including organising the testing schedule
- working as part of a team of student assistants to annotate speech data
- preparation of materials for psycholinguistic experiments, for instance thinking up sentences, finding images, making recordings
Depending on the skills and interests of the student assistant, other duties might also be performed by the student assistant:
- developing (online) experiments to collect speech data
- developing analysis tools to process speech data
- Enrolled on a Linguistics, Psychology, Artificial Intelligence or related Bachelor's or Master's degree programme at the Radboud University
- Interest in language research
- Ability to work precisely and independently
- Good organisational skills
- Good command of spoken and written Dutch
- Good command of spoken and written English
- Experience with running behavioural experiments with human participants
- Experience with working with speech data / audio
- Experience with computer programming in Python or similar
- Experience with web development
Conditions of Employment
- The the part-time student assistant will be contracted for 12 hours per week, starting 15 February 2020, until 31 July 2020. Within institute opening hours (08:30 - 17:00 Monday to Friday), times and days are flexible to suit the student's study obligations.
- Pay is according to the Radboud University student assistant salary scale (€12.42 to €14.48 gross per hour, depending on seniority).
- Although the work will take place at the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, the student assistant will be employed via Campus Detachering.
For questions, please contact Joe Rodd. To apply, please send an up-to-date CV, a short statement of motivation and the contact details of one referee to: joe.rodd [at] mpi.nl
Closing date is 6 January 2020.