Skip to main content
- Multimodal Language Grammars and Typology (core): What are possible variations versus universals in language structures (e.g. in demonstrative systems, negation, or prosody) when multimodal diversity across signed and spoken languages as well as (bimodal) bilingual data sets are taken into account?
- Multimodal Language Processing: What are the (neuro)cognitive and processing mechanisms of multimodal language use within and across spoken and signed languages?
- Multimodal Interaction: How are language(s) in multiple modalities used to manage social and interactive coordination in dialogue or groups? How do interaction patterns and groups shape language multimodal language structures?
- Multimodal Language Transmission: How does the multimodal nature of language allow or facilitate its transmission to new generations (L1 acquisition/L2 learning) and allow language to emerge anew when it is not accessible?
- Multimodal Language Technology Innovation: How can we adapt new technologies such as machine learning, virtual reality, avatars and motion capture, to study visual features of language in situated face-to-face contexts and to process large multimodal language corpora?